Venue Detail: MA Chidambaram Stadium is constructed in 1916 and in 2009 reconstruction of the stadium took place under budgetary allocation of 175 crores. There are two ends- Anna pavilion end and V Pattabhiraman gate end. With a capacity of 50,000 audiences, the total area of the stadium is 7.52 lakhs square feet. It is the home ground of IPL team Chennai Superkings. The cricket atmosphere is very good on this ground. In most matches, the audience showed the great virtues of the cricket lovers and they are some of the most friendly audiences. This stadium is also known as Chepauk Stadium. It was originally named Chepauk Stadium. Sometimes, the Madras Cricket Ground is the alternative name for this ground. But the stadium got its prevalent name on the BCCI previous chairman MA Chidambaram.
The first cricket match played on this ground was in 1933 between India and England. But after a wait of 20 years, India won its first match on this ground against England by an inning and 8 wickets.
Pitch Report of MA Chidambaram Stadium
It is a dry pitch with no grass. In the first two-three days, the pitch is good for batting, and high runs scored in the first and second innings.
The pitch is hard and due to lack of moisture, cracks on this pitch get opens, so spinners get the benefit, and more runs can not be made on this pitch in third or fourth innings.
Due to the ballers’ footmarks on the rough pitch; on the sides of the pitch, spinners take advantage, and batsmen who can play against spinners win the match. The average score keeps decreasing in the progressive series which is due to. excessive dry pitch.
IPL Stats of MA Chidambaram Stadium
- Total matches played- 57
- Average runs- 156
- First inning- 163
- Second inning- 149
- Highest first inning- 246
- Lowest first inning- 70
Chennai Super Kings won 40 out of 57 matches played in this stadium.
Read an extensive IPL Betting Tips analysis.
Test Match Stats
- In 1984, on this ground, Sunil Gavaskar broke the record of maximum centuries in a test match by scoring his third century in the test match. Sunil Gavaskar also gained the most test runs on this stadium by scoring 1018 runs with the highest score being 236 in 12 matches and 21 innings.
- Most test wickets are taken by Anil Kumble. In 8 matches and 13 innings, he took 48 wickets in 354.4 overs by giving 939 runs; at an economy rate of 2.64.
- Out of 32 test matches; 1st batting won 10 times whereas 2nd batting also won 10 times.
- 11 tests get the draw and 1 gets in a tie.
- 337 is the average first inning score whereas 356, 240,157 are second, third, and fourth inning scores respectively.
- The highest team total is 759 at 7 wickets which is scored by India against England. Karun Nayar made 3 centuries and KL Rahul skipped the double century by a single run. The lowest run is also scored by India against England which is 83 runs at 10 wickets. The highest test score on this ground was scored by Virender Sehwag with 319 runs at 304 balls. He batted 42 boundaries and 5 sixes against South Africa in 2008.
- The first ODI was played between India vs Australia in 1987.
- The highest ODI total is scored by Asia XI against Africa XI by scoring 337 runs with 7 wickets in 50 overs at a run rate of 6.74 in 1st inning on 9th June 2007 match.
- Highest ODI runs by Saeed Anwar of Pakistan; 194 runs in 146 balls at a strike rate of 132.87 on 21 may 1997 match.
- THE best ODI bowling record is in the name of R Rampaul of West Indies that is, 5 wickets in 10 overs at expense of 51 runs with an economic run rate of 5.10 against India on 20th March 2011.
- The highest ODI partnership is between Jayawardene and Dhoni in ASIA XI against AFRICA XI. The partnership was of 218 runs in the 22nd Oct 2007 match.
T20I Stats of MA Chidambaram Stadium
- 1st t20 on this ground was between New Zealand and India where New Zealand won with 167 runs at 5 wickets. BB Mccullum of New Zealand scored Highest t20 scores as, 91 runs in 55 balls at a strike rate of 165.55 against India on 11 September 2012.
- IK Pathan has the record of best T20 bowling in which in 4.0 overs he took 3 wickets at 31 runs expense with 7.75 economy rates against New Zealand. Mc Cullum and Ks William did the highest t20 partnership with 90 runs against India.
- In total, 2 T20I matches are played on this ground where the first batting won 1 match and the second batting also won a single match.
- In the 1st inning, the pacer took 5 wickets with a strike rate of 27.6 and an economy rate of 8.43.
- Spinners took 3 wickets at a strike rate of 34.0 with an economy rate of 8.76.
- In the 2nd inning, the pacer took 7 wickets at a strike rate of 24.8 and an economy rate of 8.65. Whereas spinners took 1 wicket at a strike rate of 66.0 and an economy rate of 8.45.
- 162 is the average score in 1 inning in T20I. In the second inning, 167 is the average score.
- The highest score is 182 and the lowest score is 166 on this ground in T20I.