History: The franchise team Chennai Super Kings of the Indian Premier League represents the capital city of Tamilnadu, Chennai. The team franchise was introduced in the auction of IPL’s first season in 2008. The home ground of the CSK( Chennai Super Kings) is Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai. The team was suspended from IPL for two years(2015 and 2016) due to the owners’ involvement in the 2013 IPL betting case.
The team has won the IPL title thrice.
Franchise And Sponsors
Chennai Cements bought the original franchise of Chennai Superkings for 91 million USD. Being the vice-chairperson and Managing Director of Chennai Cements, ICC chairman N. Srinivasan was the team’s de facto owner.
However, the Supreme Court of India, in its ruling in 2015, debarred any cricket board official from holding the owner of any franchise team of IPL; this leads to transferring of the franchise to a new entity by the name of Chennai Super Kings Cricket Ltd.
The current value of CSK is around 104 million USD, the second-highest after Mumbai Indians.
Read an extensive IPL Betting Tips analysis.
IPL Auction 2021
Initially, CSK has managed to arrange a wallet of 22.9 crores for the EPL 2021 auction. But after trading Utthapa from Rajasthan Royals at a whooping amount of 3crores, only 19.9 crores were left in the CSK purse. From this 19.9 crore, CSK bought the following squad for IPL 2021.
Retained players – M.S. Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, N Jagadeesan, Faf Du Plessis, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Sam Curran, Ravi Jadeja, Dwayne Bravo, Mitchell Santner, Josh Hazlewood, Shardul Thakur, Karn Sharma, KM Asif, Imran Tahir, R. Sai Kishore, Deepak Chahar, Lungi Ngidi.
- Moeen Ali – 7 crore,
- K Gowtham – 9.25 crore,
- Cheteshwar Pujara – 50 lakh,
- M Harisankar Reddy – 20 lakh,
- K Bhagath Varma – 20 lakh,
- C Hari Nishaanth – 20 lakh
Squad Of CSK-
Coach- Stephen Fleming
Captain- M.S. Dhoni
- M.S. Dhoni
- Moeen Ali
- K.M. Asif
- Bhagath Varma
- Narayan Jagadeesan
- Cheteshwar Pujara
- C Hari Nishaanth
- Suresh Raina
- Ambati Rayudu
- Harishankar Reddy
- Robin Uthappa
- Dwayne Bravo
- Deepak Chahar
- Sam Curran
- Faf du Plessis
- Ruturaj Gaikwad
- Krishnappa Gowtham
- Ravindra Jadeja
- Imran Tahir
- Lungi Ngidi
- Ravisrinivasan Sai Kishore
- Mitchell Santner
- Karn Sharma
- Shardul Thakur
- Josh Hazlewood(Withdrawn Player)
Mitchell Santner, Lungi Ngidi, Imran Tahir, Sam Curran, Faf du Plessis, Dwayne Bravo, Moeen Ali
Potential Playing 11
Faf du Plessis, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, MS Dhoni (C&WK), Moeen Ali, Ravindra Jadeja, Sam Curran, Shardul Thakur, Deepak Chahar & Imran Tahir
1. April 10 – CSK v Delhi Capitals, Mumbai, 7.30 pm
2. April 16 – Punjab Kings v CSK, Mumbai, 7.30 pm
3. April 19 – CSK vs. Rajasthan Royals, Mumbai, 7.30 pm
4. April 21 – Kolkata Knight Riders vs. CSK, Mumbai, 7.30 pm
5. April 25– CSK vs. Royal Challengers, Mumbai, 3.30 pm
6. April 28 – CSK vs. Sunrisers Hyderabad, Delhi, 7.30 pm
7. May 01– Mumbai Indians vs. CSK, Delhi, 7.30 pm
8. May 05– Rajasthan Royals vs. CSK, Delhi, 7.30 pm
9. May 07– Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. CSK, Delhi, 7.30 pm
10. May 09– CSK vs. Punjab Kings, Bangalore, 3.30 pm
11. May 12– CSK vs. Kolkata Knight Riders, Bangalore, 7.30 pm
12. May 16– CSK vs. Mumbai Indians, Bangalore, 7.30 pm
13. May 21 – Delhi Capitals vs. CSK, Kolkata, 7.30 pm
14. May 23– Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Chennai Super Kings, Kolkata, 7.30 pm
CSK In News
- Chennai Super Kings CEO Kasi Vishwanathan has also confirmed the development that Ngidi will join the MS Dhoni-led squad only after April 05.
- CSK recently unveiled their new jersey ahead of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 season, which has three stars above the team logo.
- Josh Hazelwood withdrew from CSK due to some personal reasons.
Social Media Handles Of CSK
Website– official CSK
#WhistlePoddu #Yellove💛 #IPL2021
Some Records CSK team history-
• Most Runs- Suresh Raina (4517)
• Most Ducks- Suresh Raina (7)
• Most Sixes- M.S. Dhoni (179)
• Most Half Century- Suresh Raina (38)
• Most Century- Shane Watson (2)
• Lowest Team Score- 79 Runs Vs. Mi (in 2013)
• Highest Team Score- 246/5 Vs. R.R. ( in 2016)
• Successful Run Chase- 206 Runs Chase Vs. RCB( in 2013)
Most Catches- Suresh Raina (91)
Most Wickets- Dwayne Bravo (104)
Some Records of CSK in IPL history-
• The team also has the highest winning percentage of 61.28 among all the eight franchise teams.
• Captain Dhoni holds the record of maximum time captaincy of a single team record.
• Dwayne Bravo took 32 wickets in 18 matches. This is the most fantastic bowling record of IPL history.
• The team played in the final for maximum times.
The CSK has an incredible batting lineup with the players like Dhoni, Faf du Plessis, Robin Uthappa, Ravindra Jadeja, Ambati Rayudu, Moeen Ali, Sam Curran, and Ruturaj Gaikwad. K Gowtham. They all have IPL batting experience. The team missed Suresh Raina in the middle order batting lineup the previous season, but Suresh Raina is also in the squad this season.
Bowlers like Lungi Ngidi, Shardul Thakur, Imran Tahir, and Deepak Chahar also strengthen the team’s bowling order.
The only concerning thing is the playtime gap of some players. Dhoni, Raina, Tahir, Rayudu are coming to the game after a gap time. It will be interesting to see if these players have lost the grip of the game or not.
The team has relied chiefly on spinners in past seasons, but the current venue of IPL 2021 is not spinner-friendly.
So, overall the team squad is very apt, but they will be able to perform stupendously on some particular venues is questionable.